Saturday, August 26, 2006

Lonely

I cried again last night. I seem to be doing that a lot lately. Funny, I did it so much as a child – seems like every night from the time I remember, which was one of the very reasons why I married when and who I did. And now I’m crying again but for very different reasons. Now I’m lonely, and yet I do not live alone.

When did I become invisible? When did he stop seeing me or caring that I’m here?

While the sex has literally never been there in our marriage, there was a time when we were at least intimate. I remember him putting a hand on my thigh in the car or an arm around me as we walked together. I remember holding hands and hugging and sitting close together. I remember sharing a bed. Although now those memories are fading.

Am I so bad? Have I become so unappealing that he simply can’t stand the thoughts of me now? Am I that annoying? Or boring? How can he give his friends and hobbies hours and days and not even have a conversation with me? Would it be so hard to recognize that carrying his children are what changed my body? Am I that unattractive now? Do I really look that different? Other people don’t seem to think so.

I stay for my children. I will not mess up their lives. After all, there’s no fighting in our home. Never harsh words or meanness. I wonder though if one day they’ll look back and realize how silent it was, notice how their parents never touched and that their father never shared a bed with their mother. I wonder if one day they’ll think that this is what a marriage should be and that’s it okay. I want more for them. I want them to know love and passion and intimacy. I don’t want them to ever feel lonely or go to bed crying.

Of course then I wonder if that’s really a possibility. Is it me? Could I ever have a real relationship with anyone that would have love and intimacy? Would I weigh on the nerves of anyone I lived with and send them in the same direction he’s taken? Am I just that overbearing and annoying?

I had to get this out. My pity party will end soon and I’ll pick myself up and go on with a smile on my face just like I always do. Right now though, I’m tired and I’m sad and I’m giving myself permission to be that way.

7 Comments:

Blogger DH said...

I worry about what kind of marriage example I set for my kids as well. We share a bed still, but we might as well be in different zip codes. King size beds can have advantages when it comes to actualy bedroom activity, but it sucks for intimacy when crawling into bed together.

26/8/06 2:39 PM  
Blogger Rod said...

great picture....

26/8/06 3:35 PM  
Blogger Handy Man said...

stop crying and get on with it .....Great picture I remember once years ago that I had sex in the park with the big trees...

26/8/06 6:10 PM  
Blogger WryGirl said...

You itch for more and that's a fact no matter how your brain fights it.

I wish my parents had divorced earlier.

26/8/06 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

look at his mom and dad. i doubt very seriously if he was taught about the intimacy that is in a random touch and knowing smile. a steriotypical male who belives being stoic is proof of manliness. if he had any sense at all, this post would be about getting a restraining order to keep him 10 feet away from you at all times.

27/8/06 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was right there with you for a very long time, and in the end, I couldn't stay.

I left, but I can't say how it will turn out for me. All I can say is what my experience is and that I have found far more people that I would have thought went though, and are going though what I did.

I hope it works for you, but you are not alone, that much is for sure.

28/8/06 4:15 PM  
Blogger C said...

*hugs* You know I understand,.. but just in case I haven't told you lately,.... I do. And I'm here for you. Really, I am.

28/8/06 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home